Wednesday 4 January 2012

Joining in the Yarn Along

For a long time I have read other blogs who join in on a Yarn Along - sharing knitting projects and what they are reading. For a long time I have thought I should join in with this as I enjoy both knitting and reading immensely. So this week, the start of the new year I am joining in with the yarn along hosted by Ginny on her blog Small Things - a lovely blog I have been reading and following for a while now.

Hat scarf combination for Imogen

I am this week intending to finish this project started a while ago but needs finishing now so that my daughter Imogen can enjoy the benefits of it while it is cold. This is being knit with a bulky yarn 50% wool/50% acrylic on size 9 circular needles. The hat was based on a pattern from Ravelry that I have adapted a little and added the scarf to. The scarf is simply knit in garter stitch - both sides at the same time ensuring the length is even and I am adding a pocket at the bottom for little hands to sneak into when cold.

As for the reading, I tend to have more than one book on the go at a time, to suit my mood for reading. Currently I am reading Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett, and enjoying reading a new Pratchett book after a long break. I had only realised I had not read this one when I was looking at his more recent book Snuff on Amazon - one for later.

Thank you to Ginny for hosting the Yarn Along, I can't promise I will be joining in every week, but will when I have something worth sharing and in the meantime will always be popping by to see what other bloggers are up to.


I have also written a blog post today over on the jointly written blog Spinspiration for our monthly online gathering of spinners, knitters, weavers, and all things woolly for Woolly Wednesday. Pop over and see what we are up to there - you are most welcome to join us at our informal gathering. I have shared there some pictures of finished (and unfinished) knitting projects from the festive period.

9 comments:

  1. Good to see you joining in! Those scarves are a great idea, with lilttle pockets for hands, but I am can imagine them getting filled with all other kinds of goodies to, as all pockets do when we go outside (or is that just my lot?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea Dawn, easy to grab on the way out the door, and looks really snug too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hat/scarf will be so cozy! I enjoy adapting my patterns as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's like an all-in-one accessory. Very good for children especially who like to 'lose' their mittens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of the pocket at the bottom of the scarf. I'm glad you joined the yarn along today as I am enjoying discovering your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a scarf with pockets- and my daughter made a request that the one I am to make her for her birthday have them too :) Your knit looks lovely :)
    And I love Terry too- I have a huge stack of his books I need to read LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea to put a pocket at the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! And welcome to yarn along!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely to find your blog through Yarn Along!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, come and say hello. Your thoughts are always appreciated, I read them all and will endeavour to respond. Thank you x